Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Does it ever get easier

I know death, have confronted it, have my own thoughts and feelings about it, so why does it not get easier when it touches your life. We lost a patient yesterday, it is not easy, makes it hard and sad to come to work. The patient does not care he is dead, so why does it make me feel sad. He had lived a full life, full of happiness, sorrow and I am sure many other things, his time had come to finish his tale here. Still knowing all this it makes me feel low, makes it hard to sit here waiting for that next call, because I know there will be another and another and another. It is the nature of this position; funeral homes, police officers, DNR forms, the ending of his tale is where I step in and begin a new chapter of my story. In the grand scheme of things this office is the ending for all the patients that are here. I do everything possible to help them through the winding path of bringing closure to their live and stories. I wonder if the sweet release of death only lasts for minutes or if it is continual, is it really just the chemicals in your brain or is it so much more? I have read a lot about near death experiences and mine did not really resemble too many accounts, is it because chemically my mind works differently? I could not begin to describe in words anything of my experience. I will just mark it as another chapter in a story that will continue for another day.

No comments: