Friday, March 10, 2006

Wondering

Today was a beautiful spring like day, the faeries and pixies surely must have been out playing in the lovely day!! With that said I go onto the next part of my post....

I wonder sometimes what it must be to be the person to tell a family it is time to let go. This subject came up this afternoon, a family member called regarding one of our patients that is in the hospital, Dr E spoke to him and explained that this was the end, we are unable to do anything else. When he was off the phone Dr E said I had to let them know that nothing else could be done, that it was OK to let him go. They call looking for the answer they know is there already but do not acknowledge it until it is said out loud. I have to wonder how much this affects the bearer of those words, that is strong enough to say it out loud when no one else will. It must be a tough burden to be that person and I feel bad that it has to be that way. We joke, we laugh to relieve the stress of knowing that these words will have to be said eventually over and over about many people. I suppose it should make me sad but today it just is making me wonder when the time is there can you ever be strong enough to say farewell. Farewell to your father, brother, sister, mother, good friend, I suppose that it may be easier when you know that the person has had a full life but who defines a full life. I mean Dana Reeves died at a young age by today's standard, but maybe her life was full and it was her time. We may grieve over our loss but I must feel good about the end of the suffering and pain that many experience. It is not up to me, you or anyone to decide when that time is. I wonder why it so hard when you see the person suffering so .... I suppose I will go on wondering and I will ask the bearer of those words how they cope with that task. Ohhh my.... with a sigh and a smile, feeling calm and relaxed. I know one family now can say the words that need to be said out loud hopefully before that time.

No comments: