Monday, August 28, 2006

I hate election year

It is election year in the state of Maryland, thus the ugly gets uglier and the dirty ones get dirtier. Blech. I have to say that my disgust with the current administration the total lack of disregard by the current administration and the way the current administration is trying to get re-elected is just silly. I mean really, I am insulted and I think everyone I know that lives, works, and has children in the Baltimore City Public School Systems should be a bit ticked off. My child who has been in Baltimore City Public School System for 8 of her 12 years outscored most Maryland students by a very large margin on her yearly MSA testing plus scored in the 97th percentile in her yearly standardized national testing. I live in the city just so that my daughter can attend school in Baltimore City.

Here are some facts about Baltimore City Public School System:

BaltimoreÂ’s high school graduation rate has improved from 42% ten years ago to 59% in 2005. No comparable big city in America has achieved greater progress in the same period of time in its high schools.

In 2003-4, three of the state’s top ten high schools on the Maryland High School Assessment were Baltimore high schools – City College, Polytechnic and School for the Arts. Western High School was just behind, and 100% of its students were accepted to college last year.

I suppose maybe one of the reasons students do not attend is partly due to transportation issues in Baltimore, with the current administration screwing up an already compromised public transportation program the fact that it takes a child 3 buses and 1.25 hours to go 4.92 miles and of that 1.25 hour only .25 hour is spent on the bus the rest is waiting in the rain, the cold, the heat, the sun, etc. with no benches or cover from the weather.. You might say the child could walk part of the way but due to heavy traffic and lack of sidewalks it is not possible. Then you have the issue of the bus even arriving at the stop.

Then the fact that this was from fox "news", Lololoololololol

No comments: