Saturday, October 14, 2006

Youth

I remember when I was younger I found inspiration in dancing. I was graced with the pleasure of working with two very inspirational instructors that will provide me a spark for I believe, my whole life. Wendy Robinson, was a beautiful, tall red-headed dancer that had danced with the Royal Ballet and later ended up teaching at Baltimore Ballet. She prepared me for all my exams and always had a bit of Earl Grey tea with lemon and shortbread that she would make for exam days. She never complained about my weight, never offered negative criticism, just enjoyed teaching us and nurturing our enthusiasm and passion. She provided my first professional performance on stage at The Lyric Opera House. I will always see her in my head with a graceful smile and I will always associate her with all the good things associated with dance, and my love for Earl Grey tea. LOL. Sylvester Campbell, he dedicated his life to teaching dance to students that were not afforded the luxury of having money (which dance training requires). He was funny and I loved dancing for him. He had his moments but he was very passionate about his dancing, he was an artist that brought me something that no one else could have ever given me, a sense of accomplishment and beauty in my dancing. I was so fortunate to have these people in my life and see the beauty and passion prior to entering the ugliest of all worlds which years later still haunt my behaviour, habits and body image. I suppose now my inspirations are wrapped up in a combination of things but never have the dreams and inspiration to dance been replaced, I still dance through out my day, in different ways but still it is a dance, every movement executed and every motion followed through.

No comments: